Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Azerbaijan!

I am going to Azerbaijan to co-teach English to children ages 7-16. Staging is at the end of September and then pre-service training runs through the beginning of December. My actual service will be December 2009-December 2011.

I am thoroughly excited and definitely nervous!

This blog is written by a couple currently serving in Azerbaijan: http://bakutothefuture.blogspot.com/

Azerbaijan on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/search/?s=int&w=all&q=azerbaijan&m=text

and

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=azerbaijan

5 comments:

Amy said...

You are coming to Azerbaijan? Welcome! Im in the AZ6 group and it feels like we JUST finished training and already the AZ7s are getting ready. Crazy! Enjoy the coming months of packing lists and goodbye parties. My only advice is to start learning the language as soon as you can.

Chris Sensei said...

Ditto what Amy typed. Im another AZ6 in the same town as Quba.
Xoş gəlmisiniz! = Welcome!
Rumor mill says PST will be in Lankaran this year.
See ya when you get here.

Jenni said...

Oh wow oh wow oh wow! Y'all are like celebrities to me because I have been reading your journals! Super cool. Yup, will start the Azeri learning soon. Might even pick up a Rosetta Stone copy of Turkish b/c Azeri is based on Turkish, right?

Amy said...

Azeri is very close to Turkish but you should be able to download some podcasts from the Peace Corps Toolkit for Azeri and save some cash. Your training is supposed to be 2 weeks shorter than ours which means 2 weeks worth of language lessons are gone, but it will be in Sumqayit again. Feel free to e-mail questions, I have free time. amy@eiltsfamily.org

Unknown said...

HI!

Guess what, I'm going to Azerbaijan WITH you!!! I just got my invitation last week, and I'll be in the English Education group as well!!

My name is Stephanie, I'm from Ohio, but I'm a Senior at NYU this year, so I'm currently chilling in Manhattan trying to graduate as fast as possible. I'm excited to read more of your journal, I'll have to start mine soon...

~Stephanie
smo275@nyu.edu