Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Nerves

This week I started to get nervous. What the heck am I doing? Can I stick it out for 2 years, 9 weeks? Is this really what I want to do? I will probably struggle with these questions until the day I return so maybe it's a good time to remind myself why I'm doing this. My aspiration statement talks about some of my intentions but the Blue Scholars song "Motion Movement" gets at the emotion (and is the source of my blog title). Some highlighted lyrics:

Each individual reach out, speak to teach the invisible how to be invincible
Motion, movement
Architects, blueprints
Showing, grooving
Teachers, students
Reaching for truth in a self-revolution
The roof is on fire, what's your solution?

I need to kick-start my life and I think PC will do that.

7 comments:

Christian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christian said...

Blue Scholars = awesome. Best of luck on that service. Feeling the nerves just means you're alive, right? When I ski, its no fun if I'm not a little nervous

Author note: Had to fix the comment. Forgot "not" in the last sentence. Totally changed the meaning.

Jenni said...

Hey Christian, thanks for the good wishes! And best of luck to you too! Sharp eye with the English grammar :)

Amy said...

Don't be nervous, 2 years will fly by. But I'm pretty sure they bumped it back up to 2 years 10 weeks. You'll be glad you have that extra week when you get here, more time with our awesome training staff!

Jenni said...

Thanks Amy, I appreciate that and it's good to hear from someone who's already there.

And you're totally right about the 10 weeks...I cannot count. Good thing I'm not teaching math!

Anonymous said...

Don't worry about how long it is. I've been on both sides of it (how can i last for two years? how has two years gone by already?) and as odd as it sounds, two years is the minimum amount of time. you'll figure everything out during the first year, hit your stride in your second, and as soon as you get comfortable, you'll be thinking about what to do when you get home. I don't mean to be preachy, I just mean to say that it will be alright.

Jenni said...

Thanks Jeff. You and Amy are right - the 2 years will go quickly. I agree with you about needing the 2nd year. That's how it felt as a TA in graduate school. The first year I made mistakes and the second year I made better mistakes. Those poor first year students...